Tuesday, September 9, 2008

**I Totally BELIEVE**

in the power of prayer.

I truly do.

My sweet little Potter is alive and alert. I believe prayers are the reason.

We just got home from the ICU puppy clinic and here's the latest update:

First I have to tell you - Potter is amazing.

Potter was severely injured. He's had reconstructive surgery. He lost almost half of his lower chin/jaw and all of his incisors. He has one canine still there. His back teeth are all still there - that's amazing! Meaning - once he's healed and gets back to eating - he can eat anything. (Although - I'm going to put him on soft foods and will probably leave him on them.)
He's got so many stitches on the inside and outside I lost count. He will have his stitches in for a minimum of 14 days - maybe 30...depending on how he looks in 14 days.

The vet is amazed at how he is recovering. He says he's never seen a dog who was damaged so badly have the will Potter has - the fight in him. Especially being so LITTLE. I told you - Potter is amazing :) He told us that he's going to let him come home tomorrow evening. That is sooner than his original thought of at least 5-10 days! WOW! He will have to learn how to eat again. That won't take him long though - he sure loves to eat!

Just yesterday we thought we were losing our little guy. Today we get the best news ever. We are so relieved and happy. It doesn't matter to us that he will look different. He's the same Potter we've always loved - in fact - he's even better now. Potter's my hero! :) I love that little guy.

This has been a rough & emotionally exhausting journey. Now that we've got the bad behind us, we will focus on getting Potter on the road to recovery and life at home. It will be a LONG road - but one I'm very happy to be on.

My family & I are grateful for the phone calls, emails, thoughts and prayers. You all hold a special place in our hearts. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

23 comments:

Staci said...

Oh Leslie! I got the biggest goosebumps and smile on my face reading your post! I'm SO happy to hear how well potter is doing, wow, what a fighter your little guy is! I know this last day has been a rollercoaster for you all, but it sounds like you can hopefully move forward now and put the awful day behind you and focus on potter's future. So thrilled to hear this update!!

Anabelle said...

Such awesome news!!! So glad the little guy is on the mend! Now YOU take some time to heal from this emotional rollercoaster!

Amy W. said...

what wonderful news! i was stalking cmk all day waiting/hoping for an update. bless that little Potter's heart! i hope you realize that it's because of your family's love that i'm positive that's why he fought so hard. ;) i hope you breath a little easier now. {hugs to ya girl} ;)

Danielle said...

Leslie, I am SO incredibly happy for you. I am so glad that Potter is doing well. what a fighter!!!! I will say a prayer for his recovery. Get some rest, I am sure that you are completely exhausted.

Danielle said...

oh my goodness! what a little fighter! that is amazing!! I feel so bad for the little guy and for you having to go through this. I kind of know how you are feeling having since we had Taylor in the hospital recently...it's definitely a roller coaster. Good luck to you guys, I'll pray for him.
Hugs,
Danielle

LoRi said...

I'm so thrilled that your sweet little pup is going to make it. What a miracle! Such a strong little guy. Hugs to you. xoxo

Andrea Amu said...

God Bless the amazing and MIGHTY Potter! Very happy all is going well for the lil' guy!

Tina said...

YAY for Potter....he's my hero too Leslie! Love you!

Danielle Holsapple said...

Hooray!!!!!!!!! What wonderful news! And what a tough little guy!!!!

TheShermanFam said...

OMGoodness!!! I am sooo behind, trying to catch up and reading this emotional rollercoaster of a story...I thought I was going to start crying looking at his sweet little face. I'm sooooo sorry you have had to go through this. I know people think we're crazy when we treat our pups like our own childen...but they are!!! Dang-IT!!!
*sigh* Ok. I'm taking a breath now. I'm sooo excited that little baby Potter is doing soo well! Thank God he is a little fighter and a such a TROOPER!
I hope the rest of your week is better and that he continues to heal. BIG, BIG ((HUGS))!!
Em

Mireille said...

oh my goodness that's really fast. Do you have any idea what caused this??
I am trying to understand but.. sheesh.. getting totally lost.. maybe in the english language..
anyways.. not as important as him doing so well!
SO happy for you and your loved ones.. get him home real fast! =)

~Nancy~ said...

Oh wow.. I'm so happy that Potter is doing so good.. I've been staling your blog since Monday for updates about him..I hope he'll be able to come home tomorrow to recover in his own little house with you guys around him! HUGS sweetie! XOXO

Patter Cross said...

Okay, I am in tears again. Look at the little precious guy! What a fighter! Yeah Potter! I am so happy that the news is looking up for him. Hang in there, and may the Lord hold you up too. Take care! Loads of hugs and prayers!

rae said...

Oh, yay Potter, you tough guy you!!! Sooooo happy to hear the good news Leslie.... keeping your adorable pup in my prayers during his road to recovery ;)
(((hugs))) for you too, momma!

Nicole said...

That is AWESOME news Leslie! I am so happy that Potter is doing to well! {{{HUGS}}}

Stephanie Rice said...

I'm so glad Potter is okay! I'm sorry you had to go through this. I hope he continues to recover smoothly!

Lyn said...

poor little potter! i am so glad he is on the road to recovery!! XOXO

carrie*postma said...

oh Sweet Little Potter! I'm sorry I didn't read your blog sooner to lift you guys up in prayer. I will pray for his continued healing and quick recovery. Big Hugs to you and yours!!!

Susannah said...

Oh Leslie! I am so glad he is doing better I will continue to keep him and your family in our thoughts and prayers. Thank goodness for a strong will of a little pup.
Hugs!

Raechelle said...

Oh Leslie, that is amazing!!! I am so thrilled to read that he has such a strong will to survive! {{{hugs}}}
Rae

Renee Lamb said...

If I could wrap my arms around you in a great big celebrating hug I would!! What FABULOUS news! I bet you are doing your happy dance and just kissing his cute little nose over and over and over. So glad the little dude is on his way. what a relief!

Janette said...

Glad to hear your puppy is doing better. I understand how much you love your dog. I only have one and he is 1.5 years old no wand he is my baby as well. We got him at 8 weeks and he is such a sweet puppy and a Mommy's boy.

Could you please pray today for my SIL she is having brain surgery today for cancer. Details are on my blog. Thanks Leslie.

Ki said...

WOW - what an amazing strength your little guy has!!! Do you have any idea what happened to him?